Clients Are Always Our First Priority
Levittown Probate Attorney
Committed to Providing Knowledgeable Legal Guidance
Probate is the legal process that happens in the aftermath of a person’s death. If the decedent left behind a will, probate will be required to administer the decedent’s estate. At Adler Law in Levittown, our probate team will walk you through this process and ensure your loved one’s estate is distributed as they would have wished. You can rely on us to help you skillfully navigate any obstacles you may encounter.
Reach out to our law office in Levittown today at (516) 740-1184 to schedule a consultation with an experienced probate attorney to get started!
There are several steps involved in the probate process, which you will have to get through if a trust was not created.
Here are some of the steps involved in probate:
- File the probate petition: The will’s executor will have to file the original will and a certified copy of the death certificate and other supporting documents. The size of the estate will determine the filing fee.
- Provide notice: All creditors, heirs, and beneficiaries will need to be mailed a notice, stating that the estate is in probate.
- Inventory the estate’s property: The decedent’s belongings must be collected and appraised.
- Satisfy all outstanding taxes and debts: Home equity loans, income taxes, and other applicable accounts will need to be paid off. If the decedent’s estate does not have enough cash, assets may have to be sold.
- Distribute the remaining property: The heirs of the estate will be served a notice, requiring them to submit to the jurisdiction of the Surrogate’s Court.
Moreover, the probate process is treated as a matter of public record under New York state law.
The Advantages of Probate
Although the probate process is often seen in a negative light, it actually presents some benefits.
Here are some of the advantages associated with the probate process:
- The court can validate the will through probate
- It is easier to resolve conflicts, such as will contests
- The executor of the estate will be supervised
- Creditors have a limited window of opportunity to file a claim
Schedule an Initial Consultation with a Knowledgeable Levittown Probate Attorney Today!
If your loved one recently passed away and you must now go through the probate process, let the legal team at Adler Law in Levittown assist you. You can rely on us to provide the skilled legal advice you need to smoothly navigate this process.
Reach out to our law office today at (516) 740-1184 to schedule an initial consultation with a member of our team to get started on your probate case.
50 years of experience on your side.
Personalized approach with all of our clients.
Responsive to all client inquiries.
Effective service, proven results.